"Eyes, mind and heart on what you can see to get to what you cannot see". That's what Dr. Fr. Jure Radić, the most famous researcher of Biokovo, said about this mystical mountain located in the hinterland of the Makarska Riviera.
Biokovo delights its visitors with its natural beauty, plant and animal species, and since 2020 the main attraction is the Skywalk, a small promenade entirely built of glass.
Table of Contents
Biokokovo Nature Park Location
The main entrance to the park is located in the hinterland of Podgora, a small coastal place located south of Makarska. The road to the entrance is good and it's easy to find and approach the park by car.
Biokovo Nature Park ticket price
Price for visting the park for adult person is 50 kuna, no matter of means of transportation inside the park. Children under age of 7 have free entrance.
Tickets are purchased at the entrance to the park.
Preparation for entering Biokovo Nature Park
The park can be visited either by car, bike, motorcycle, hiking, or on foot. The most common way of visit is by car, since the Biokovo Road is 23 kilometres long, and only those people who are in good physical condition can do it by walking, biking or hiking.
Here is a list of things you should carefully read and be aware of before getting to the park:
- Wear sneakers over flip-flops. You will feel more comfortable if you do any walk alongside mountain.
If you are planning to go by car (which most people do), be aware that Biokovo Road is single-line road, requiring a good driving skills. Make sure your car is in a good service condition. You will be mostly driving in the first or second gear.
Fill the fuel tank before arriving at the park. Be aware of the fact that the asphalt is cracked on many places making the road not really suitable for sport cars with lowered suspension.
- Climbing the Biokovo road all the way to Sv Jure, the highest Biokovo peak, takes about an hour.
- Cars are let into the park in groups every hour. This means you may have to wait a bit at the entrance to the park, up to an hour.
- Park is opened every day from 6am to 8pm. The last entry to the park is possible at 7pm.
- Skywalk, the most famous attraction of the park is located on the 13th kilometer of Biokovo road. For some visitors who don’t want to go any further, this is the ultimate goal of the visit, while others go to the top of the mountain. It takes half an hour to reach Skywalk from the entrance to the park.
- Along the Biokovo Road you will notice several educational walking trails, so if you have time, visit them as well.
The most famous attraction of Biokovo Nature park is so called Skywalk. It's a glass promenade located on the 13th kilometer of Biokovo Road. The promenade is around 25 meters long, and except amazing experience of walking on the glass, it features a beautiful view of Makarska Riviera.
As you can see from the photos, all the visitors are excited by this unique experience in Croatia. It's a total tourist hit of 2020, and must see place for many visitors of Split and Makarska Riviera.
Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković attended the opening ceremony of this glamorous place.
Biokovo Nature Park and coronavirus pandemic
As in all other public places, epidemiological measures need to be adhered to in the park to keep all visitors healthy and safe. Masks in the park are not mandatory, because it is an open space.
It is necessary to keep a distance of 1.5 meters between people who arrive at the park together. If you decide to visit restaurant inside the park, called Vrata Biokova, you need to disinfect your hands.
We will help you experience the best of Croatia.
Get latest Croatia Tourism news!
Join our newsletter and get news in your inbox every week!